Continuing my theme of Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween party decorations and treats, I decided to make Oogie Boogie cupcakes! Believe it or not, it isn’t as much frosting as it looks, but still enough to give you a good sugar rush.
What you will need:
- 1 box cake mix (and ingredients required on box)
- White frosting
- Green food coloring
- Black decorating frosting
- Gummy worms!
I also found some excellent cupcake liners that were Halloween themed, but they certainly are not required to pull off the look.
1. Bake your cupcakes according to the directions on the box. I also recommend doubling the cupcake liners if you have a fun design, as the design was not nearly as visible once baked. Let cupcakes cool on cooling rack completely.
2. In a small bowl, mix white frosting with green food coloring until you get it to the green color you desire. Scoop frosting into a frosting gun or cake decorating bag. I highly recommend a frosting gun. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby last year for just $15, and have used it so many times for different baking projects, totally worth the cost. It also is a lot easier to use than a cake decorating bag, so there is that too.
3. Cut a marshmallow in half, and place on the center of your cupcake. Then, using the smooth tip, frost around the marshmallow and top in a cone shape (think ice cream cone). Use a knife to smooth out the lines, but it doesn’t need to be perfect by any means, as oogie boogie does have natural wrinkles.
4. Finish off the face with the black decorating frosting, creating an open mouth and slit like eyes, using a picture for reference if preferred. Use the gummy worms for decorating around the cupcakes!
Also, my sister had a great idea once I was already done with the cupcakes, so I didn’t get a chance to try it, but think it could work well. Instead of using a marshmallow to pad up the frosting, you could curl up gummy worms, which would be just like Oogie Boogie’s real insides!