During the sorting ceremony, the sorting hat always pays homage to the four houses of Hogwarts: Griffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. These ornaments are a great way to represent the houses in your decor!
Hogwarts House Ornaments
You will need:
- Clear ornament globes
- Construction paper in: red, yellow, black, blue, tan, green and white/grey
- House Crest Printout (Free download here)
1. Start by placing all sheets of construction paper together and cutting the construction paper into 1/4 inch strips. You will need to use one sheet of each color listed above, except for yellow, which will require two sheets. For these four ornaments, I used half of page of each color (yellow was 1 full sheet).
2. Curl up the strips from both ends to make the strip as curly as possible and separate into piles of each color.
Each house ornaments will use:
Red and yellow for Griffindor
Yellow and black for Hufflepuff
Blue and tan for Ravenclaw
Green and white/grey for Slytherin
3. Print out the house crests. These fit nicely for 3 inch ornaments, however, you can find the crests with a google search and size in microsoft word to your desired size. Err on the smaller side, an cut each out.
4. I got my ornaments from Bullseye’s Playground at Target for $3 which only had an opening in the top. If you have a similar ornament, you will need to roll up the crest to get it inside, then use the tweezers to maneuver it to the side. Then, continue filling with the curly strips of construction paper that associate with each house. Keep moving the crest to keep it in place, as it will slide down and move until you have the ornament at least half full.
You can also avoid that frustration with ornaments that open into halves, like these!
6. Seal or close your ornament and hang!