Lock ,Shock and Barrell are noted not only for cavorting with Oogie Boogie, but also for their distinctive masks. Even if you do a non traditional Lock, Shock, or Barrell costume, the mask will make all the difference in making your look almost instantly identifiable.
DIY Lock Mask (Nightmare Before Christmas)
You will need:
- Cardboard (I used the curved edge of an empty oatmeal container)
- Hot glue
- X-acto knife or box cutter
- Modge Podge (or elmers glue and water)
- Newspaper & paper towels (without print) or white printer paper
- Acrylic paint (red, pale yellow or white, black)
- Paint brushes
1. Start by cutting a piece of cardboard in the shape of lock’s face, with a flat top and pointed chin. I used half of a cardboard oatmeal container, which is thin, sturdy and curved. Cut out two small eye holes using an X-Acto knife or box cutter.
2. To get the horns curved in, use tinfoil and hot glue it on to the corners of the mask, curving them in slightly.
3. Use tinfoil (stuffed with a cotton ball to fill it out) and shape into a pointed nose, then hot glue onto the face.
4. Layer paper mache over on top of the cardboard, topping with a layer of white paper or paper towel (you will want a white surface to paint). Allow to dry completely.
4. Start by painting white where the mouth will be. Then trace the outline in black, making the smile very tall and exagerated. Zigzag black through the mouth to make small spiky teeth. Paint the rest of the mask red, and allow to dry.