With every holiday, there always seems to be one food item people crave the most. While I definitely take part in the PSL craze (hey, I’ve been obsessed ever since I was a kid and had to wait until Thanksgiving for pumpkin anything), my seasonal favorite for the Halloween holiday is candy corn. It’s not the healthiest, but I allow myself to buy a bag each year.. and so far I’ve hardly dipped in! Who knows, maybe this bag will last me through October?
With a lot of Zombie action going up on the blog in the next few weeks, I thought I would offer a sweet respite with a candy corn cupcake tutorial!
Candy Corn Cupcakes
You will need:
- White cake mix (and any required ingredients, usually eggs, oil and water)
- White frosting
- Yellow and orange food coloring (or yellow and red, then mix)
- White, yellow, or fall themed cupcake liners
- Frosting gun
- And of course, candy corn!
1. Mix your cake batter according to box instructions. You can make your cupcakes fluffier by beating the egg whites in advance. Separate batter into two bowls.
2. Mix yellow food coloring into one bowl of batter and orange into the second until you reach your desired hue.
3. Spoon yellow batter into your cupcake lines until just under halfway full. Then finish filling by spooning orange batter on top. Bake according to cake mix instructions.
4. Allow cupcakes to fully cool before frosting. Using a frosting gun (seriously, $15 and my favorite baking investment I have made thus far), and top your cupcakes. I used the star tip for mine, and afterwards wished I would have used the larger circular one instead, although they still turned out lovely!
5. Test a few pieces of candy corn to ensure they are as delicious as they look, then use to garnish your cupcakes.