I may be Alyce, but I will always identify with the Hatter. I absolutely love the hatter, and especially love the persona given to him by Johnny Depp in the Tim Burton version. So, when I pulled this costume together, I shouldn’t have been surprised how much I love it. Pretty sure this is my favorite costume I have done to date!
Mad Hatter Costume
You will need:
For the Hat
- Black top hat
- 2 foot pink or peach sash
- small square of paper, a sharpie, and a lighter
- peacock feathers
For the Accessories
- Cloth with a bright large floral print on a dark background for the bow-tie
- A swatch of bright pink and purple fabric
- Two gloves, made from a plaid or similar fabric
- 2 yards of brightly colored ribbon w/bright buttons
- Hot glue gun
For the Full Costume
- Black baggy pants
- Lace up boots
- Long men’s button up white shirt
- Brown jacket
- Fancy buttons (optional)
- Patterned vest
- White, or cream
Don’t forget the Makeup Tutorial! (coming soon)
Making the Hat
1. Tie your sash around the base of the hat, leaving it to trail behind the hat. Slide your peacock feathers into the left side of the sash.
2. Cut the small piece of paper so it is about 3 x 4 inches. Use your sharpie to write 10/6 on the paper. You will see that I had 3/5 on mine, as I was foolish enough to reference internet images instead of watching the show again. Silly me. But you will have the right numbers on your hat! Use the lighter to lightly burn (and quickly blow out) the edges of the paper. Slip this into the hat sash on the right side.
Making the Props
3. Take your glove fabric and glue into a “tube” that is just large enough to slip over your wrists. Flip them so the glued seam is in the inside, them cut out holes for your thumbs.
4. Glue the two ends of the bright ribbon into a sash to wear across your torso. Use the hot glue to attach the brightly colored buttons down the entire length of the ribbon.
5. If you so wish, replace the buttons on the jacket with fancy ornate buttons.
6. Finally, glue the white lace to the ends of the sleeves of your dress shirt.
Pulling it together
7. When dressing, you can tuck your pants into your boots, if you wish. Layer the vest over the white shirt, followed by the jacket. Finish by tying your dark floral print in a bow at your neck. If you are doing makeup, I would save this for once your makeup is completed.
8. Drape the button sash over your torso, and stick the pink and purple swatches of cloth in each pocket (if you have them. If not, I recommend adding simple ones to the jacket in a matching cloth to the jacket for this purpose).
9. Slide on your gloves, top with the hat, and you are ready just in time for tea!