The Halloween Town sign from the opening of Nightmare Before Christmas is a great prop in any Halloween Decor scheme, and is a great addition to the Halloween Town Scarecrow Costume. The best part, it was super easy to make!
Halloween Town Sign
You will need:
- a 2-3 foot stake
- Wood Stain
- Plastic drop cloth (or garbage bag)
- Latex gloves and paper towels
- Hot glue gun
- white paint and brush
- Elastic (if necessary)
1. Ok, on this one I fudged the DIY just a hair. I thought about using a hand saw to cut 1/8 inch plywood into the appropriate shapes, but just didn’t have the time. Luckily, Hobby Lobby had these great jagged board pieces in their wood section. They had some jute string wrapped around the clean end, but I simply cut that off.
2. Stain the wooden stake using a paper towel and wood stain, and use a garbage bag underneath so it doesn’t stain the floor.
3. While the stake dries, place the jagged boards so that the jagged edges are facing different directions, then paint “Halloween” on one and “Town” on the other, and allow to dry.
4. Hot glue the boards onto the stake. Use a LOT of hot glue to make sure it stays.
5. If you want to use this as part of the costume and wear it, attach two lengths of elastic that are big enough to loop around: 1. your torso and 2. your head/neck, then hot glue them onto the stake so they are glued behind the stake, but the loops are in front. This way, you can wear it under the scarecrow costume shirt with one loop secured around tour torso, and the other around your neck to hold it upright.