Not into putting on makeup for Halloween? Then the Mayor is a great option for you! This DIY mask makes getting in and out of costume easy, and still makes a great impact!
Halloween Town Mayor Mask
What you will need:
- Large lampshade (I recommend getting one from goodwill, mine was $2)
- Cardboard, large enough for base of hat
- Long tube or sturdy but flexible paper, about 2ft long.
- Black spray paint
- Acrylic paint & a couple of paint brushes
- Dark green
- Light blue
- Hot glue gun
- Black pants & suit jacket
- White collared dress shirt
- Mayor Pin & Spider Bow Tie
1. Start by cutting out a circle of cardboard that is slightly smaller than your lampshade. Spray paint each side black, either by hanging it by a thread or allowing one side to dry and flipping over. Spray paint this and your tube black.
If you have a flexible piece of cardboard (I had some on hand), tape this into a tube before painting. Allow to dry completely.
2. For the Mayor’s two faces, first paint half of the lampshade orange, and the other half grey. Allow to dry (roughly an hour with most acrylic paints).
3. When painting the happy side, I started with the mouth, which is the biggest element. Make the shape of his mouth using the white paint, and allow to dry. While the white is drying, you can outline the eyebrows, eyes, and nose.
4. Once the white mouth is dry, outline the smile with red, and draw the teeth on with black. Then you can move on to painting the yellow outlines around the eyebrows and the right (when facing the mask) eye. Fill in the crescent shaped left eye in blue. Finally, once the blue is dry, add a yellow pupil.
5. Draw on his frown in white, and allow to dry. While drying, paint on two large yellow eyes.
6. When mouth is dry, outline in dark green. Then, draw the zig-zag teeth with black. Finish by drawing on the triangular nose, pupils, and circle outline of the eyes.
7. Placing the tube in the center of the circle, draw an outline, and cut out a hole. Place the cylinder through the hole so that about 4 inches sticks through the bottom. Cut the portion of the tube sticking through the bottom into strips.
8. place the hat on top of the lampshade and turn gently on its side so you can get into it. Using your hot glue gun, glue each of the strips to the inside of the lampshade. Finally, add a strip of glue around the band of the hat to secure it to the tube.
Complete your costume with the Mayor’s Pin & Spider Bow Tie!