While I love the idea of decorating using literature, I find the idea of destroying a book, even an old one, abhorrent. This idea, however, is completely possible to do without cutting into a single page of a book! The chapter illustrations in the Harry Potter books is very unique to the series, and a great way to customize your tree to some of your favorite chapters!
Harry Potter Chapter Ornaments
You will need:
- Clear ornament balls
- Tweezer (Optional, but helpful)
- Cotton balls or printout of pages*
- Printout of favorite chapter illustrations*
1. You will start with a little homework. Google search “Harry Potter Chapter Illustrations” and select your favorite illustrations, then copy and paste them into a word document. Re-size each image so that they are no larger than 3 inches tall or wide (or smaller, if you have smaller ornament balls). Print out and cut out each illustration.
2. To keep the image in place, you will want to fill the ornament behind the image. You can fill it with “Snow” by shredding cotton balls, or, you can fill it with pages of the book. Please, don’t cut up a book!!! Instead google search pages of the book and print out the images, or take a picture of a few pages, place the image in a word doc, and print that out. Cut the pages into 1/4 inch strips and roll up so they are curly.
3. First, roll the illustration and fit into the ornament (if you have an ornament that opens into two halves, this is even better! When filling the ornament, having a tweezer is convenient, as the illustration doesn’t stay in place. As you continue adding the filling, use the tweezer to move the illustration back into place. Continue adding more until the ornament is full.
4. Hang on your tree and enjoy that no books were harmed in this DIY!