This is an absolute hit recipe I crafted after accidentally forgetting to un-thaw stew meat for the more traditional version of Bosnian Cabbage Soup. Instead, I gave it a spin on actual Cabbage Rolls by adding rice and using ground beef (which WAS thawed) instead… and it seriously worked in my favor! I couldn’t get enough of this dish, and even though I ate it all of last week, I am thinking about doing it again.
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 TBS vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz. Beef Stock
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1, 15 oz. Can of diced tomatoes with chilies (Rotel)
- 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups brown rice, cooked (roughly 3/4 to 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 TBS Vegeta (European Seasoning Salt)
1. Start by adding the oil to the bottom of the stock pot and browning the beef. After a few minutes, add the onion and garlic and cook until beef is browned and onions are cooked through. In a separate sauce pot, cook your brown rice according to package instructions.
2. In the large stock pot, add the beef stock, chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes with chilies, tomato sauce and Vegeta and stir thoroughly. Cook on medium heat until rice is finished.
3. Add rice to stock pot and cook on low for another 30 minutes, or until cabbage is completely wilted and cooked through.
Serve with sour cream!